Children and teens are not immune to the stressors of life. Therapy may benefit children and teens in a variety of ways, such as promoting healing from traumatic events, facilitating the expression of emotions, encouraging the development of positive decision-making skills, learning problem-solving skills, developing better social skills, and facilitating the communication of personal problems or concerns.
Signs your child may benefit from counseling include:
- Difficulties at school, either with teachers, friends or academics.
- Sudden changes in mood or behavior.
- Frequent stomachaches or headaches with no apparent physical cause.
- Difficulties with sleeping, eating or going to the bathroom.
- Irritability, extreme “temper tantrums,” excessive anger or aggression.
- Sad or scary dreams, nightmares, or fantasies.
- Preoccupation with ideas, thoughts or feelings that seem age inappropriate
- The experience of a traumatic or overwhelming event
- Self-harm or suicidal thoughts
We support children and teens through the following interventions
- Sandtray therapy
- Play therapy
- Incorporating art into counseling
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing)
- TF-CBT (Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)
- Somatic Experiencing
- Parent coaching and Positive Discipline workshops.